I am always surprised at how many people are not aware of the keyboard shortcuts available on the Computer. A fairly quick typer, I would be lost without my quick fixes and shortcut options when working on Lawrence the Laptop! But I teach a lot of college students and adults who aren’t really familiar with even some of the more basic options available. So here is a quick list!🙂 *Sorry, I don’t do Mac, so I can’t help there😦
The ones in Red are shortcuts I use really, really often and find most helpful. They make typing or online work much faster.
- Ctrl + A = Highlight Everything
- Ctrl + B = Bold.
- Ctrl + C = Copy
- Ctrl + D = Favorite / Bookmark
- Ctrl + Shift + D = Bookmark All Tabs
- Ctrl + F = Find (on the page or in the folder
- Ctrl + H = Open History Page
- Ctrl + I = Italics
- Ctrl + J =
- In Word = Justify Left, Right, or Center
- In Browser = Open Downloads Page
- Ctrl + L = Start typing in the address bar
- Ctrl + N = Open New Page (or Slide or Document depending on the program you’re using)
- Ctrl + P = Print
- Ctrl + R = Refresh
- Ctrl + S = Save
- Ctrl + T = Open New Tab
- Ctrl + Shift + T = Open Previous Tab
- Ctrl + U = Underline
- Ctrl + V = Paste
- Ctrl + W = Close
- Ctrl + X = Cut
- Ctrl + Y = Redo
- Ctrl + Z = Undo
- Ctrl + Enter = Adds “http://www.” and “.com” to anything you put in the address bar
- Ctrl and + = Zoom in
- Ctrl and – = Zoom out
- Ctrl + Left Arrow = Start typing at the beginning of the previous word.
- Ctrl + Right Arrow = Start typing at the beginning of the next word.
- Ctrl + Down Arrow = Start typing at the beginning of the next paragraph.
- Ctrl + Up Arrow = Start typing at the beginning of the previous paragraph.
- Ctrl + F4 = Close the window of all tabs but the one currently open.
- Ctrl + Alt + Delete = Open Task Manager (how to close pages that aren’t responding)
Alt + Buttons
- Alt + Tab = Move Between Open Pages
- Alt + Enter = View “Properties”
- Alt + Esc = Move between Pages in the order that they were opened.
- Alt + F4 = Close Page
- F1 = Help Page (for whatever program you have open–i.e. using Google Chrome it opens Chrome’s help page. Word, it opens Word’s help page)
- F2 = Rename (if you highlight a file/folder)
- F5 = Refresh
- F6 = Instantly Start Typing in the Address Bar
- F7 = Spell Check
- F11 = Go to Full Screen (Open or Close)–Shortcut for making videos big🙂
- F12 = “Save As” window in Office
Shift + Buttons
- Shift + D = Delete permanently without sending to “Recycle Bin”
- Shift + F3 =
- When using Microsoft Office = Click to easily go back and forth between 1. all small letters 2. Every Word Is Capitalized and 3. ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
- When using a Browser = Find
- Shift + F7 = Highlight a word and use Shift + F7 to look it up in the Thesaurus
Windows + Buttons
- Windows + D = Show Desktop
- Windows + E = Open “My Computer”
- Windows + F = “Search All Files” option will open so you can search your entire computer
- Windows + M = Minimize all Windows.
- Windows + Shift + M = Restore (Maximize) Windows
- PrintScreen (PrntScr) to take a Screenshot. Then Paste it into OneNote or a Word Document and save as a picture.
- Hold down Shift while Highlighting to Highlight things in a row.
- Hold down Ctrl while Highlighting to Highlight unconnected words.
- To pull a group of tabs off into a new page–> Click the first tab + Hold down Shift + Click the last tab . Now Click and drag off the toolbar and they’ll come off and open up in a new page together. Only works in some browsers!